PIPE SYSTEM & HYDRAULIC MACHINE (SKMM 4343)
This in online notes for Pipe System & Hydraulic Machine (SKMM4343).
Class will be conducted in online mode. Google meet link will be given in Whatsapp group.
You may subscribe my youtube channel to get video notes.
COURSE INFORMATIONOpen or CloseThis course is designed to enhance the knowledge in fluid mechanics. Understanding the principle of open channel flow and the calculation to determine the flowrate. Basic elements of water flow in pipes which are applied to practical problems in pipelines and networks for steady, quasi-steady and unsteady flow are emphasized. Analysis of flow distribution using Hardy-Cross method will be practiced. Pressure wave and water hammer analysis will be introduced. This course will also provide the analysis of pump operation and pipe system. Various pump type such as centrifugal pump, axial pump and positive displacement pump will be introduced and analysed.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Calculate the flowrate for open channel flow.
- Calculate the losses and predict the flow distribution in a pipe network using Hardy-Cross method under a steady flow condition.
- Compute the time to empty the tank under quasi-steady flow condition.
- Compute the performances of a positive displacement pump installed in a flow system.
SYLLABUSOpen or CloseOpen channel flow:
Behaviour of flow in open channel flow.
Calculation of specific energy.
Calculation of flow in weir.
Application of Hardy-Cross method and head balance method.
Various calculation of energy loss in pipe system.
Calculation of flow rate in pipe network.
Calculation of depth-dependent discharge.
Calculation of time for the flow to reach equilibrium conditions.
Positive displacement pump:
Calculation of slip in pump, flow rate and energy loss in pump.
Performance of positive displacement pump.
ASSESSMENTOpen or CloseTest 1 - 20%
Test 2 - 20%
Assignment - 20%
Final Exam - 40%
(Marks percentage may be changed due to Fluid Panel's decision)
REFERENCESOpen or CloseOfficial Text book
Potter, Wiggert, Ramadan. 2016. Mechanics of Fluids, SI Edition, 5th Ed. Cengage Learning.Other References
- Munson, Young, Okiishi, Huebsch. 2010. Fundamental of Fluid Mechanics, 6th Ed. John Wiley and Sons.
- Fox, McDonald and Pritchard, 2004, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 6th Edition, John Wiley and Sons.
- Douglas, Gasiorek, Swaffield, Fluid Mechanics, 4th Edition, Prentice Hall.
- White. 2016. Fluid Mechanics. 8th Edition. McGraw-Hill International Edition.
- Massey, Mechanics of Fluids, Chapman & Hall, London.